Monday, October 3, 2011

"Stumbling into Grace" Review

I had the pleasure of attending a Women of Faith event this past August, and the speakers there were incredible.

One of the speakers at the event was Lisa Harper. I thought her presentation was very good, so when I saw that her book was available at BookSneeze, I requested it right away.

What I found in Stumbling into Grace: Confessions of a Sometimes Spiritually Clumsy Woman, was a part-devotional, part-humorous story, all-honest book. Lisa Harper is open and down-to-earth in her descriptions of things she has encountered in everyday life while always coming back to Christ and how He is the center of everything.

There are Personal Reflection/Discussion Group questions at the end of each chapter and also a helpful prompt for writing your thoughts about the topic in a journal.

I especially liked the chapter titled, “The Very Real Problem with Pantyhose,” and not just because I hate pantyhose. (I don’t even like the name ‘pantyhose.’ It’s just weird.) I really related to the point that was made when Lisa said, “Don’t you wonder what He [Jesus] would say about all the confining junk we lug around and label ‘spiritual’?”1 I have been pondering this a lot lately – about busyness rather than focusing on priorities, or about doing what looks good rather than truly changing your heart and caring about people – and this chapter helped my thinking in that area quite a bit.

I also appreciated how Lisa pointed out the context of the verses that she was using instead of pulling a verse out of the Bible here and there and running with it.

There were a couple of chapters that didn’t really hit home with me, but that is to be expected, of course. The book needs to relate to all, not just to me! J

This book was a pretty good devotional, which was made easier to read by Lisa Harper’s unending humor and honesty.

I will give Stumbling into Grace by Lisa Harper … 3 ½ BookWorms.






1Lisa Harper. Stumbling into Grace: Confessions of a Sometimes Spiritually Clumsy Woman (Kindle Locations 445-446). Thomas Nelson.








No comments:

Post a Comment