Friday, January 20, 2012

Bible Study on 1 Peter: Week 2

Week 2:

1 Peter 1:13 - 2:3

So far so good on getting my Bible study done! I hope I can keep it up. It definitely helps having a blogging 'deadline.'

This week I am going to be talking about two questions from the publisher.

Here is the first:

Core One talks about getting ready, first with our minds. Sue directs us to 1 Corinthians 2:12-16. Based on these verses, why is it important to start with our minds? What other verses in the Bible speak to this? 
  • I'm going to answer the first part of this question by quoting what the author of this study says in a later question:  "Peter begins with the mind because how we think determines how we feel and ultimately how we behave."
    • This may seem backwards to some, especially since the current worldview relies so much on feelings and how whatever you are feeling should determine how you think and act.
    • It is easy to get caught up in our emotions, but God wants us to think on Him and His Word first, which will give us strength to act as we should.
  • In Matthew 22:37-39, Christ told us that loving God wholeheartedly, including with our minds, is important.
  • Romans 12:2 tells us to be transformed by the renewing of ours minds so that we can determine what pleases God.
  • Paul tells us in Philippians 4:8-9 to think on whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy and that the God of peace will be with us.
Here is the second question:

Fun! We get to talk about chocolate... What is your favorite food? Something you crave and thoroughly savor. On a more serious note, how do you learn to crave and savor God's Word?
  • Now, I enjoy chocolate, but anyone who knows me well knows that I am a true Southern gal when it comes to craving food. My favorite food is biscuits and gravy. You heard me right. I blame my grandmother for making the best biscuits of all time. :)
  • Peter said in 1 Peter 2:2 that we should crave pure spiritual milk so that we may grow up in our salvation. If we don't eat and drink and take care of our bodies, we will not grow and thrive physically. If we don't learn about Christ and what we need to do to be followers of Him, how are we going to grow spiritually?
  • I know that if I go for a long time without my favorite foods, I will want it even more. But, I think this is the opposite from craving God's Word. I think if you go for a long time without it, you can become callous to the realization that you need it. This might not always be true, but it has been true for me in the past. The more you read and study and spend time with Him, the more you want to know about God and His Word and you crave it even more.
  • Do you agree with me on this? I can actually see it going both ways. I just know for me I 'miss' my time with God a lot more when I have been consistent with prayer and study rather than when I have been distant.
Join me next week as we study 1 Peter 2:4-10, "Rejoice That You Rock."

Read my thoughts from previous weeks here:

Week 1

No comments:

Post a Comment