Sunday, November 21, 2010

Book Club Review -- "Christmas Jars"

“Christmas Jars” by Jason F. Wright is the November book selection for my book club, and this is a book that my husband and I read together. (When our daughter was born, we started reading aloud to each other during her bedtime feeding. Several novels and the entire Harry Potter series later, we still read aloud to each other almost every night!)

“Christmas Jars” tells the story of Hope, the adopted daughter of Louise, and her quest to find the origin of some mysterious jars that appear each Christmas in her small town. I actually hesitate to tell my readers even that much about the story, since the book is so short!

Despite the book’s short length, this was a very good story. It was both engaging and heartwarming, and the message of giving at Christmastime came through clearly.

The only issue we had with the book was that the writing style was odd at some points. We felt it would have made a better short story than a book. It seemed to drag in places and then raced through others places.

I also felt that the “point” of the Christmas Jar should have been more “directed.” (I don’t want to give the story away to those who haven’t read it, so I am being cryptic here! If you have read this and want to know what I mean, leave a comment, and I will talk to you or email!)

Overall, we really enjoyed this little book. After reading it, we were of course inspired to start our own Christmas Jar!

We give “Christmas Jars”…….. 4 Book Worms!

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book, but thought it could use some more work. It seems like the author knew where he wanted to end the story, and how to begin it to get there, but had no idea what to do in the middle. It definitely drug in the middle, but the ending was worth it. I thought I knew how it was going to end (don't all books like this end the same way?), but I was actually surprised. Good book.

    ReplyDelete