Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Book Club Ratings -- June, July, August, September



Because I have been receiving so many review copies of books lately, I am going to have to start doing things a little differently for my Book Club books. I just don't have time to write a full review of each of the books that I read for Book Club.

I want to make clear that I do actually read these books, and we do actually talk about them during our meetings (regardless of what some of the husbands might think...!).

So, in the future, I will be listing my Book Club books on my "To Be Read" and "Currently Reading" lists, but I will only post about them on my blog quarterly. And I will just be giving a short review of the book and my BookWorm rating instead of a full review.

If you want to know more about any of the books that I mention for Book Club, please leave a comment with your email, and I will get back with you.



Book Club Selection for June:  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

Winning the award for the book with the longest title was our Book Club selection for June. For a description of the book, please click here.

My favorite part of this book is that the story is told through letters written to and from the members of the Society. This book made me laugh out loud but also made me cry. (And that is something, because I am not a 'crier.')

I will give The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ... 4 BookWorms.




Book Club Selection for July:  Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, and it is my husband's favorite book of all time. My husband had been trying to get me to read it for a long time, but I really hadn't ever been into Science Fiction. I finally gave in, and I was glad I did!

Because I enjoyed Ender's Game, I read other books that my husband enjoyed, such as The Lord of the Rings and books by Michael Crighton. Now those books are on my list of top favorites. I guess this means I should listen to my husband, huh?!

Ender's Game is not for everyone. I have friends who have loved it and some who have hated it. That's okay. I get the book, I emphathize with Ender, and it will always be one of my favorites.

There are many other books in the Ender series as well, but I have only read one of them. My husband has read them all but insists that Ender's Game is the best.

I will give Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card ... 5 BookWorms!




Book Club Selection for August:  The Man with Two Left Feet by P.G. Wodehouse & an outing to see the movie The Help.

Okay, okay, I know that I said I read all of the books that my Book Club selects, but I didn't read The Man with Two Left Feet. My apologies to Mr. Wodehouse. Hopefully I will read it someday, as I was able to get a free Kindle version from Amazon. (Get your copy here).

Since we read The Help back in January (see my review here), we decide to go as a group to see the movie version when it came out in August. Unfortunately, I was at the Women of Faith conference that weekend and could not go with the group. My wonderful husband took me to see The Help another time, since he knew I was disappointed about not being able to see it with my friends.

The movie version of The Help was very good and was very much like the book. The acting was exceptional, and you could definitely enjoy the movie even if you had not read the book. (I think the book is better, but I think that 95% of the time with books that are made into movies!).

Again, hopefully I will have time to read The Man with Two Left Feet someday, and The Help was an excellent movie!



Book Club Selection for September:  The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

For our November selection in 2010, we read Christmas Jars by this author (see my review here), which I liked quite well. The Wednesday Letters is pretty much in the same vein as Christmas Jars, and you can read a synopsis here.

I did not enjoy The Wednesday Letters as much as I enjoyed Christmas Jars. I thought it was sappy just for the sake of being sappy. (You kind of expect this more from a Christmas book, which is why I was more forgiving in my review of Christmas Jars). But, The Wednesday Letters did tell a story of forgiveness that was extraordinary. The way the main characters were able to forgive was incredible.

I will give The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright ... 3 BookWorms.




So, that's it for now. We are reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins for October and Finding Noel by Richard Paul Evans for November. In December we will have our Christmas party and book exchange.


-- Shoopette

1 comment:

  1. Love the book Hunger Games! I was a bit disappointed with the following books but the first was awesome.

    ReplyDelete