Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Club Review -- "Daisy Fay & the Miracle Man"

My book club’s choice for February was “Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man” by Fannie Flagg. This author is the same one who penned “Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café,” which was made into the well-received movie of the same (shortened) name several years ago. (Actually, it has been 20 years since the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” came out. Wow! Didn’t realize it had been that long…'20 years ago' is a little longer than ‘several’ years ago, but I digress…)

“Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man” is told from the perspective of the protagonist, Daisy Fay Harper, age 11, during the 1950’s. The narrative unfolds through the writings of Daisy Fay’s diary entries about her life growing up in a beach-side tourist town in southern Mississippi.

While I can’t say that this book had much of a plot (since it was basically the ‘private’ thoughts of a young girl), I will say that the naiveté of Daisy Fay combined with the crazy mix of characters and their antics made for an easier type of read that at times just made me laugh out loud.

There were SO MANY characters in this book, though, that periodically I had to go back to where that character was introduced in the book and remind myself who they were! I also got a bit bogged down in my reading when I was a little over halfway through this book. It picked back up towards the end, though.

While this novel is not necessarily lighthearted in all of its subject matter, the overall feel of the book is. When I was planning to write this review, I kept asking myself why I kept thinking this was a lighter read when it obviously deals with serious issues in the life of this girl and her friends and family. I came to the conclusion that I think it is Daisy Fay’s outlook on life. She is so feisty and just takes life as it comes, even though she faces adversity.

And I REALLY liked the ending! :)
 

I will give “Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man” by Fannie Flagg….. 3 ½ BookWorms!








For more information about this book, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment