Sunday, December 4, 2016

25 Days of Christmas Books - Day 4

Day 4:

Today is my mom's birthday! So in honor of her, today's post is about the famous Christmas poem "The Night Before Christmas."

My mom used to read this to me every year at Christmas, and it was one of the first things that I learned how to "read." (Mom thinks I just memorized it!)

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Visit_from_St._Nicholas), this poem was originally published in 1823 as "A Visit from Saint Nicholas," and there was some dispute about who the author actually was. It definitely is one of the most widely-known poems in America, and some say that it contributed greatly to the tradition of Santa Claus becoming as big as it is.

What I like best about the poem is how the great meter and how well it flows. Some poems (especially the rhyming in children's books these days...) don't stick to the meter, and it really bothers me! "The Night Before Christmas" is one of those that has such a good meter to it that it gets stuck in my head....and sometimes not even at Christmas time...!

If you are looking for a good hard cover book copy of this poem and you find one, please let me know! It seems as if it is rather difficult to find the full poem in a children's book form these days. I found one at a dollar store a couple of years ago, but it is a paperback. Most of the hardcover copies I found on Amazon had been edited in some way, and for me, the original is just the only way to go!

Reading this poem has become one of our Christmas Eve traditions, and I look forward to it every year!


But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight-
Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment